Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Depression is contagious



TMZ posted this headline 2/28/10: Marie Osmond Son: Suicide note shows sadness. Michael Blosil jumped to his death to end his 'torment' from depression.

It is a familiar story to Patricia Gallagher, author of No More Secrets- A Family Speaks About Depression, Anxiety and Attempted Suicide. Her husband, John, faced uncertainty at work and anxiety landed him in the hospital where he jumped from an open window. John survived. That landing from 40 feet brought pain to the entire family in ways they never imagined. Quickly a web of lies began to maintain appearances as that happy family featured on Oprah a few years earlier when life was good.

Patricia Gallagher and her family appeared in a segment about her book Raising Happy Kids on a Reasonable Budget. A dream come true for any author and her family!
 Today, the family tells a different story about depression and it's ripple effect on family members. They have found healing and peace as they help other families facing depression, addictions and difficult situations.

I asked Patricia to share her thoughts in a recent interview:

How can you relate to Marie Osmond's son suffering from depression and chosing to end his life?

I honestly, am finding that I feel too deeply when I hear about tragedies such as the Osmond family. When it's someone's child, it is almost too much for me. I think because of writing the book, and doing all of the research....I have found this type of tragedy is more common that I could ever have imagined. It is so heartbreaking.

What gets you through those unthinkable circumstances?

For me, I kept running, running, running, being busy...then I discovered a true faith in God to help me. I went to church and was a 'good person' but during all that was happening with John and the residual effect on our family, financially and emotionally, I had to really hold on to God as my anchor. I started writing prayers/poems. As I look back, I realize they were 'desperate housewife's ' plea for heavenly assistance. That is how the Team of Angels Project began.

How does a loved one with depression effect those around them?

Depression seems to be contagious. We were all affected because of John's negativity and pervasive sadness. It wasn't his fault because depression is a disease, but in our case, it was not being treated, because we didn't have a name for what was happening. We just didn't know why he was acting the way he was. I was frustrated.

What are some ways family members can stay emotionally healthy while
 living with someone suffering from depression.

Find a support group; tell other people; reach out for help at church, friends, relatives; seek counsel; join on-line communities to vent.

Patricia suggests organizations like NAMI, Depression Bi-Polar Support Alliance and Mental Health America for help. Other resources are listed on their website  http://www.speakingaboutdepression.com/. From there visit their on-line community blog and find book ordering information.

No comments: